Transition to recovery updates

Published on 30 January 2026

Storm recovery updates (date).png

Friday 30 January 2026 updates

State Highway 25 between Whangamatā and Whiritoa is open.
 
A reminder that anyone planning to travel to the Coromandel this weekend is advised to allow plenty of extra time for their journey and expect to see traffic management and speed restrictions at a number of locations including some Council roads.
 
NZ Transport Agency Waka Kotahi would like to thank the Coromandel community and visitors for their patience while we go about restoring full access to SH25. Please drive with care.
 
Keep up to date at www.nzta.govt.nz

 

Thursday 29 January 2026 updates
Roading updates

All local Council roads are now open to the public (except for Dundas St, Whitianga - resident only access). The signs on roads limiting access will be removed by close of business today.

Roading crews will continue working across the network over the coming weeks to complete the initial clean-up. Temporary traffic management will remain in place while this work is carried out.

State Highways

  • SH25 between Kūaotunu and Kūaotunu West/Matarangi is now open with a temporary speed limit in place.
  • SH25 Whangamatā to Whiritoa remains closed. See NZTA website for updates.
Kerbside collections
Properties in Whangapoua, Matarangi, and Kūaotunu West that did not receive kerbside recycling, glass, or food waste collection on Wednesday will have these services completed tomorrow, Friday 30 January, when the collection trucks return to clear the remaining materials.

 

Matarangi Wastewater Treatment Plant – Discharge of partially treated effluent

Following the severe weather event last week, the Matarangi Wastewater Treatment Plant experienced high wastewater inflows, causing elevated pond levels and resulting in an overflow from the treatment ponds.

While the overflow has reduced, it is still occurring as we continue working to maximise treatment capacity.

The public is advised not to swim, fish or collect shellfish in the Whangapoua Harbour until further notice.

Storm damage forces weight restriction on Kūaotunu River footbridge

Last week’s storm caused structural damage to a bridge pile and an abutment on the footbridge at Blackjack Reserve in Kūaotunu.

The bridge remains open but to keep users safe, our Council has temporarily reduced the capacity of the bridge to a maximum of two people on it at any one time.

Reminder: There is no pedestrian access along Blackjack Road due to the slip between State Highway 25 and Irishtown Road.

What’s happening next?

Specialist contractors will be on site this week to develop and put in place a temporary fix to address the immediate structural risks. In the coming week, the entire bridge structure will be comprehensively assessed to determine the long-term repair or upgrade requirements.

We appreciate the community’s patience and cooperation while we make sure the bridge remains safe to cross. We’ll have further updates as new information is available.

Blackjack Road limited access map
Blackjack Road map.png
Government contribution to the Mayoral Relief Fund

The Hon Mark Mitchell, Minister for Emergency Management and Recovery, has approved a government contribution of $100,000 to the Thames-Coromandel District Council Mayoral Relief Fund. This funding will support residents and communities affected by the severe weather event that impacted the district last week.

“I would like to convey my thanks to all those involved in the local response, and my thoughts go out to the local community during this challenging time,” says John Price, Director of Civil Defence Emergency Management. “NEMA (National Emergency Agency) is ready to support you through the recovery phase.”

“We’re extremely grateful for this contribution and to Suncorp, the owner of Vero Insurance, which also contributed a generous $50,000 donation to the fund,” says Mayor Revell. “This kind of leadership and commitment to our communities makes a real difference, and we encourage other organisations to consider how they might also support people doing it tough.”

The Mayoral Disaster Relief Fund is open to Thames-Coromandel District Council residents, ratepayers or small business owners, and not-for-profit organisations who have suffered financial hardship because of damages caused by the weather event. If you would like to apply or donate to help our communities, see www.tcdc.govt.nz/MDRF


Wednesday 28 January 2026

Looking after our parks after the storm

Last week’s storm and the resulting wet conditions have disrupted normal park operations for Thames-Coromandel District. Council staff are clearing debris and keeping up with maintenance, but some areas may be difficult to access.

Several structures have been impacted - please follow any closure notices for safety.

Grass growth will be strong over the coming weeks due to the wet conditions, so parks may not look as tidy as usual. Our teams are working hard to manage this.

Good news! Our Tucks Bay Reserve track in Coromandel Town is open again. The Department of Conservation’s Cathedral Cove track remains closed, as do their northern Coromandel campgrounds. Facilities and tracks elsewhere are generally open. Check with DOC for details.

Still not sure about building placards?

Some properties remain placarded because of storm damage while safety checks continue. Placards are there to keep people safe and show whether a building can be used.

  • Red placard: unsafe to occupy
  • Yellow placard: restricted use, some parts of the building may be off limits
  • White placard: safe to use, but there is potentially damage so keep a lookout

If your property is red-placarded, please don’t enter the building until further assessments are completed. Inspections are ongoing and placards will be updated as soon as it’s safe to do so.

More information is available at www.tcdc.govt.nz/placards.

A reminder about rubbish disposal after flooding
  • If you have insurance: Contact your insurer first. Flood-damaged items, including disposal costs, may be covered.
  • If you’re insured but need to dispose of items now: Take photos and keep your receipt from the refuse transfer station so you can claim the cost later.
Flood-damaged items cannot be donated

Items that have been in floodwaters are potentially contaminated and are not suitable for donation.

Leaving these items at donation points creates extra work and disposal costs for community organisations, taking time and resources away from helping people.

Thames-Coromandel’s State of Emergency ends today as our district transitions into Recovery

Transition to Recovery is a 28-day period in which our Council actively works to manage risks brought about by the January 2026 storm. Our focus during this time is on restoring our communities – our teams are already working hard to clear slips, reopen roads where it’s safe, and support residents whose homes have been damaged.

We thank our community for its patience and care as we manage the ongoing effects of this extreme weather.

Government disaster relief funding announced, call for donations continues

The Government has announced initial funding of $2.2 million to storm-affected regions, supporting residents, ratepayers, small business owners, marae and not-for-profit organisations affected by last week’s storm. $1.2 million has been reserved for mayoral disaster relief funds in five districts, and $1 million earmarked for marae. What portion of this funding will be earmarked for our district has not yet been confirmed.  

We thank the Government for its support, and particularly Prime Minister Christopher Luxon, who visited the district to see the impact of the storm firsthand and demonstrate his commitment to helping our communities recover. Mayor Peter Revell notes that this funding is crucial for residents and businesses take the first steps toward recovery, providing vital support during this challenging time.

On Saturday, our Council opened the Mayoral Disaster Relief Fund to collect donations and provide additional financial help to affected residents.

“We’re extremely grateful to Suncorp, the owner of Vero Insurance, which has stepped forward with a generous $50,000 donation to the fund,” says Mayor Revell. “This kind of leadership and commitment to our communities makes a real difference, and we encourage other organisations to consider how they might also support people doing it tough.”

Local generosity is already also making an impact, with 13 community donors contributing to the Mayoral Disaster Relief Fund so far.

The fund is available to residents, ratepayers, small business owners, marae and community organisations affected by the storm. At this stage, the focus is on donations so the fund can provide meaningful support once applications are open and assessed.

Visit www.tcdc.govt.nz/MDRF for information on the fund, how to donate and how to apply for relief funding. 

Rates not charged for red-placarded properties

(This information was updated 30 January)

Red-placard properties will automatically have a rates remission (in accordance with our Rates Remission Policy) applied for the balance of this rating year. Although this will not remove all rates it is hoped this will assist in alleviating some of the immediate financial burden.

“For people whose homes are currently unsafe to live in, rates are one less thing they should have to worry about right now. This pause in rates is about easing some of the immediate pressure while families focus on safety and recovery,” says our Chief Executive Aileen Lawrie.

This does not apply to houses with white or yellow placards because they are still habitable.

Roading updates

Closed:

  • Dundas Street, Whitianga
  • SH25 Kūaotunu to Kūaotunu West – significant slip, NZTA working on clearing; check their website for updates.
  • SH25 Whangamatā to Whiritoa remains closed.

Limited access:

Waikawau Beach Road, Kennedy Bay Road, Port Jackson Road, Port Charles, Tuateawa Road, Mangatu Road, Stoney Bay Road, Carey Road, Fletcher Bay Road, Blackjack Road, Matapaua Bay Road, Pumpkin Hill Road, Sailors Grave Road, Opoutere Road.

Health and safety reminder

After heavy rainfall, unknown debris and wastewater may enter the ocean. Avoid swimming or fishing in estuaries and harbour areas for up to several days, or until our Council confirms it’s safe. Please avoid collecting shellfish until further notice.

Mautohe Cathedral Cove remains closed

DOC is carrying out further safety assessments following recent extreme weather. Independent geotechnical experts will be on site this week, with no reopening date yet. Public safety remains the priority.

Tagged as: