Commercial Filming Concessions

If you are expecting or involving commercial film crews at your event note that all film crews must apply to their local council for filming permits. 

If you want to film in an area managed by our Council, then you need to apply for a concession. Remember that if it's not on Council land it may need Waikato Regional Council (beaches) or Department of Conservation consent.

If you have any questions about the application process, please contact us.

Need help to find the perfect Coromandel location?

Save time and money on your Coromandel recce mission - contact our Regional Tourism Organisation (RTO), Destination Coromandel - they'll know the perfect spots.

When is a concession required?

Commercial filming and photography is defined as any photography or filming undertaken on lands managed by the Thames-Coromandel District Council for any form of gain or reward.

This also includes:

  • Photography or filming which produces, or is intended to produce, a product for sale
  • Photography or filming which produces, or is intended to produce, a product which is used commercially or is made available for commercial use, including promotional material
  • Photography or filming which is intended for non-commercial end use, but which is undertaken by a contractor who undertakes the photography for gain or reward
  • Film schools or students

Please download the application form, fill it in and return it to us.

Download the application form here.(PDF, 182KB)

National Parks and Department and Conservation Estate

Where filming is to be done in reserves or national park areas a filming concession must be granted by the relevant authority, either the Department of Conservation (DoC) or the regional council.

Vist the DoC website for details on filming on public conservation land.

Issues to address

Film crew issues that may need to be addressed in the concession application process:

  • Health and Safety planning
  • Traffic management / road closure
  • Resource/ building consents
  • Environmental consents
  • Fire permits
  • Pyrotechnics (if applicable)
  • Water access
  • Air access
  • Parks and public space