Noise Complaints

We take noise complaints seriously on the Coromandel. In this section, you can find out about noise, what it is and what we can do about excessive noise complaints.

Under the Resource Management Act 1991, we can control excessive noise.

It is important to call us when the noise is happening, so we can take action as soon as possible. The Noise Control Officer will visit the site and determine whether the noise is reasonable or excessive, as determined by the Resource Management Act 1991. The officer will take into consideration the volume, time of day and type of noise. If our officer determines that the noise is excessive, they will serve a written Excessive Noise Direction (END).

As our district is vast, it is important to note that, in some cases, it can take up to an hour for an officer to arrive on site.

Need to make a noise complaint?

Please ensure you read the additional information on this page to check if the noise you are concerned about is excessive. If you would still like to make a complaint, call our 24-hour, seven-days-a-week Customer Service line at 07 868 0200 or use our online complaint for below.

Excessive noise

"Excessive noise" is any noise that unreasonably interferes with the peace, comfort and convenience of others. The noise has to be under the "control" of another person.

Here are some examples:

  • Loud music (i.e. band practice or from stereos)
  • Machinery (i.e. chainsaws)
  • House and car alarms

Noise can be difficult to define, because there is no one set level for noise that is acceptable. Noise level "acceptability" depends on things like the:

  • location of your neighbours
  • time of day
  • zone you are in (work or residential) - see the District Plan
  • presence of sound barriers
  • type of noise

Noises that are acceptable during the daytime are often not acceptable at night.

Ongoing commercial noise issues

Excessive noise from industrial or commercial businesses and workplaces often requires detailed investigation to deal effectively with ongoing issues.

Our officers may need to use noise monitoring equipment if the issue is technical, which can take some time to resolve. We aim to work as fast as possible.

Read our District Plan to find out what the noise level limits are in your area.

We do not have any control over noise from aircraft, cars, trucks, motorbikes, mopeds, tractors and other vehicles.

Excessive Noise Direction 

Excessive Noise Direction notices are aimed to reduce or eliminate the noise, and enforced for up to 72 hours. If the person to whom the notice is directed fails to obey the notice, and we have to return to the site (within the 72hrs), we have the power (with police support) to seize equipment and/or issue a $500 infringement. 

If you are the noise maker and you feel the complaint is unjustified, please feel free to contact us to discuss your situation.

Abatement Notice

An Abatement Notice can be issued for on-going unreasonable noise. The notice will require cessation of noise to a reasonable level, in general line with District Plan noise limits. If the person/s to whom the notice is directed do not comply with the notice, an infringement fine of $750.00 can be issued.