Schedule of Fees and Charges : Building Control Monitoring
Council has two key roles in Building Control. One is the processing, inspecting and certification of building work via the Building Consent process. The other is that of a Territorial Authority with the primary focus on Public Safety. With particular emphasis around Building Warrants of Fitness, Swimming Pools and Earthquake Prone Buildings. In addition to this the TA function deals with illegal buildings, enforcement actions and general guidance.
Council's Consent and Inspections role is independently assessed every two years as a Building Consent Authority. Given the range of building project work that Council processes, a range of fees are applicable. These usually consist of an initial fee and any further fees required are charged at an hourly rate if technical advice or processing exceeds the initial fee.
These charges apply to all actions of the Council for which a charge may be levied pursuant to Section 219 and 240 of the Building Act 2004. The following outlines general fees for processing Building Consents. Further detail is provided under headings in the tables below:
Inspection Fees rate duration
All fees for Building Consent Inspections are valid for the two year duration of a building consent. If you require an extension any inspection carried out during the extension period will be at the rate applicable at the date and time of the inspection.
The Council will investigate instances of alleged non-compliance with the Building Act 2004, the Building Code and related matters. In the event that an investigation concludes that an offence has occurred, costs associated with such investigations, calculated in accordance with the hourly rate specified above, will be recovered from the offending party or owner of the property on which an offence has occurred. Where a non-compliance with the Building Act, Consent or Building Code requires a Notice to Fix Council will also charge for the cost of the Notice.
Please also note that:
- The standard fees in this schedule are minimum fees.
- An initial deposit fee is required with all Building-related applications. No processing will commence until the deposit fees are paid.
- The deposit fee is the total of the online system fee, the planning check fee and the processing review fee, and are based on the project value unless otherwise stipulated.
- Fees associated with processing the building consent cover the lodgement and assessment only. Inspections, Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) and other professional fees are charged separately.
- Where the cost of processing significantly exceeds the fee or deposit stipulated below, then an actual time charge shall be payable at the hourly rate as set out in the schedule below.
- Specialist services (payable at cost) and Central Government levies payable via Council are additional to fees and charges.
- Council will refund any unused portion of fees for cancelled or withdrawn consents.
|Engineering and asset management
|Actual cost + 15 mins admin fee
Please see our Schedule of Fees and Charges: Building Control Inspections and Schedule of Fees and Charges: Consents: Building Consents pages for more information on the fees we charge for inspections and for consents.