Remediation, repair and urgent works

Is a Building Consent required?

It pays to check if a building consent is required for any remedial work. This quick guide provides councils, building practitioners, and homeowners with information on what building work may not require a building consent when repairing damage caused by the severe weather events.

Download: Building consent exemptions for damaged buildings - quick guide [PDF 1MB]

Once work has been completed, Council inspectors may need to re-visit your house and sign off the work before the sticker can be removed from your property. Please contact to confirm if an inspection is required.

Remediation, repair and urgent works

Remediation and repair works are often required following an emergency event to make buildings safe to use.

More information here 

This link covers information on:

  • Urgent works
  • Other works and long-term works
  • Remediation and repair work

When beginning remediation and repair work on your building following events it's important you follow guidance from council and/or insurance company, especially if your home has been issued with a red or yellow placard by a Rapid Building Assessor.

There are several resources prepared to help you in this process and to ensure remedial work complies with the Building Code, where applicable.

Flood damaged buildings

This guidance is for homeowners and occupiers of buildings damaged by the North Island severe weather events. It covers steps to take after the flood, through to repairs and minimising future damage.

Flood damaged buildings

Restoring a home after flood damage

NZDAA Practice Note Asbestos and Floods

Damage to wall linings (plasterboard) caused by flooding

This guidance provides information on identifying plasterboard wall linings that have been damaged by flooding, and what needs to be done to remove and replace these.

Damage to wall linings (plasterboard) caused by flooding

GIB Best Practice - Replacing Water Damaged Board

GIB Best Practice Assessment of water damaged board

Slope stability quick guide

This document provides homeowners and occupiers of buildings that have been affected in the recent weather events with direction on remediating damage related to slope and ground stability.

Slope stability - quick guide [PDF 4.1MB]

Other remediation resources

Check if your remediation and repair work requires a building consent

Keeping safe during cyclone and flooding emergency and recovery

Additional Resources for post emergency building management

Further resources and guidance

Insurance and Claims Resolution

Homeowners who are impacted by any natural disasters should talk to their insurer in the first instance.

Your insurer is always your best point of contact. They will assess and manage the full insurance claim, including any EQC cover on behalf of Toka Tū Ake EQC. Your timeline and next steps may be different to your neighbour or friend, so contact your insurer with any questions you may have.

Insurance recovery advice | ICNZ Consumer Guide

Fallen trees and insurance advice | ICNZ Consumer Guide

  • Complex residential land damage

    EQC cover claims for damaged residential land may require several steps to occur in a particular order before a settlement outcome is determined. These claims can often take longer to reach the settlement stage than other types of insurance claims due to the complexities involved (e.g. landslips). Talk to your insurer early to learn about the process for dealing with EQC cover land claims. 

    Information sheet: EQCover claims for storm, flood and landslip damage

    EQCover community information - Cyclone Gabrielle |

  • Information for owners and occupiers and neighbours of homes at risk from slips

    Following Cyclone Gabrielle, land in some areas remains unstable, particularly after rain. New landslides could occur, and existing landslides could reactivate. 

    Properties next to, above or below those already affected by landslides could also be at an increased risk of further landslides. 

    In many areas, cliff top properties without extra stability measures, such as deep piled retaining walls, have experienced cliff collapse below them. These properties and nearby properties could suffer further damage. 

  • Temporary accommodation insurance benefits

    Most house and contents policies include temporary accommodation benefits. These vary from policy to policy in terms of the total dollar amount available and, or, how long they apply for. Talk directly to your insurer to understand what cover you have and what it can be used for. Care is needed in considering how long it might be before you return to your regular home when considering how best to make such benefits last.

    Temporary accommodation benefits in House and Content policies | ICNZ Consumer Guide

  • Settlement timeframes

    When it comes to building work, including strip out and re-lining, more significant repair work to damaged property or complete re-builds, a useful starting point is to consider how long such work would take under normal circumstances.

    Properties must be properly dry before re-lining can be completed. In some cases, it might then be necessary to allow additional time before decorating can be completed. More involved building work might ordinarily take months and rebuilds typically take longer.

    • New Zealand Claims Resolution Service 

The New Zealand Claims Resolution Service (NZCRS) has been launched to provide expert support to homeowners with insurance claims after natural disasters to avoid disputes, resolve issues, and ensure claims are settled in a timely manner.  

Homeowners who are impacted by the January floods and Cyclone Gabrielle are advised to talk with their insurer in the first instance. If they have concerns about their claim or are unsure about the process, they can contact NZCRS on 0508 624 327, email, or visit