• Home
  • Transport, Roads and Road Safety

Transport, Roads and Road Safety

Coromandel Roads

Our transportation network comprises 704km of roads (504km sealed and 200km unsealed), 199 bridges (including footbridges and fords), 3,093 streetlights, over 8,000 culverts and drainage structures, 302km of footpaths and associated assets such as signs, rails and structures.

A well-maintained roading network enables economic activity and growth by allowing for the efficient transport of goods and services and by promoting visitor access to the Coromandel. Road safety is also improved as part of proactive road maintenance.

While the Council has a legal obligation to maintain roads within the district, the Council determines the service level at which roads are maintained and whether or not a road is maintained if the public benefit is limited.

The Council’s transport management decisions are shaped by its Roading Activity Management Plan, which is underpinned by the Waikato Regional Land Transport Strategy and the Government Policy Statement (GPS) on Land Transport.

Our role includes ensuring new roads constructed through land development projects, meet District Plan requirements including appropriate levels of service standards. Council's local road network is maintained through multi-year maintenance contracts and is renewed and improved through annual resurfacing, pavement reconstruction, widening and minor improvement contracts.

Council manages the district transportation network and funds the ongoing costs for most transportation activities from both rates and investment (subsidy) from Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency (NZTA).

NZTA subsidises road activities which meet their investment criteria to 51% from 2020/21. This means the true cost of the district transportation activity is approximately double that funded by rate revenue.

Our communities want effective transportation networks, and our aim is to provide safe, reliable and accessible roads around the district with consideration for the environment.

To do this the council is involved in the planning, provision, development, operation and maintenance of a district transport network for various modes of travel and for public access.

State Highways within our district are managed by Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency and are not part of Council's transport.

NOTE - The public has no right to undertake works of any kind within the road reserve without the consent of the District Council as the Road Controlling Authority (RCA). Any unconsented works would be a breach of Section 357 of the Local Government Act 1974, an offence that may be subject to criminal prosecution resulting in fines or jail.

Before planning any works within the road reserve please contact us to discuss them.

Traffic Management Plans

What is a Traffic Management Plan?

A Traffic Management Plan (TMP) details how a safe environment will be created for all road users or pedestrians while works or activities are undertaken on a road corridor.

The plan must detail all signage, temporary traffic controls, detours, and pedestrian/cyclist management, as applicable.

When is a Traffic Management Plan required?

A Traffic Management Plan (TMP) is required for all activities which are undertaken on the Council’s Road Corridor. This includes, but is not limited to;

  • any activities that will alter the surface of the road, footpath or verge,
  • maintenance work on essential infrastructure,
  • placement of pipes, ducts, or cabinets below or above the road surface,
  • temporary work or loading zones,
  • construction of new vehicle crossings or maintenance of them, and
  • any organised events.

Works such as mowing urban or rural verges are usually excluded.

If you have any concerns, please contact the Council to discuss specific issues.

What is a Road Corridor?

A Road Corridor is defined as the area of land between the legal boundaries of one property to the boundary of the property on the opposite side of the road. The Road Corridor includes the nature-strip, or berm, and footpath.

Who approves a Traffic Management Plan?

Worksafe has recently released their “Keeping healthy and safe while working on the road or roadside” guidance document. Please familiarise yourself with the document which provides PCBUs with guidance and advice on how to keep workers healthy and safe while working on the road or roadside.

All TMP’s must be submitted via the Council’s chosen Corridor Access Request platform (beforeUdig or Submitica) and approved by a Council authorised Traffic Management Coordinator (TMC).

Waka Kotahi’s NZTA’s Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management (CoPTTM), adopted by local Councils, is considered to describe the best practice for the safe and effective management and operation of temporary traffic management on all New Zealand roads. Waka Kotahi are intending to release the New Zealand Guide to Temporary Traffic Management (NZGTTM) in the near future. Following the release of the final version of the NZGTTM, we will look to review and fully understand implications prior to making a decision on its usage on Council roads. This includes whether to adopt the guide in its entirety or implement it with changes or conditions.

We do not envisage needing to change the TMP processing system we currently use as part of the pending release, however there may be changes or process updates.

When we understand implications, and a way forward that provides safety at road works for both those undertaking the works and the travelling public , we will update this web page as and when we are able. Until such time as a decision has been made we will be expecting compliance with the Code of Practice Temporary Traffic Management and its current processes on Council roads as the minimum standard for temporary traffic management that will be accepted.

Public Liability and Legal Consequences

Any works undertaken in the Road Corridor without an approved consent may leave the person or persons instructing the works personally liable to prosecution.

All works undertaken will require current public liability insurance.

You can find all the information regarding approval on the link below.


Finger Signs

Download information about Finger Signs from the download box on the right-hand side of this web page.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

Overweight Permit Application

Download the overweight permit application from the right-hand side of this web page.

Approved Contractors List (Roading)

Download the approved contractors list (Roading) from the right-hand side of this web page.

Road Reinstatement

Temporary Reinstatements

Temporary Reinstalments are undertaken when required by a person undertaking work within the road reserve for construction purposes or programming. They are acceptable where the persons work programme would require multiple reinstatements over a large area where permanent reinstatements cannot immediately be undertaken, or where the correct materials are not available for permanent reinstatement.

Temporary reinstalments are to be regarded as sacrificial with the expectation that they will be replaced with permanent reinstalments within 90 days. Temporary reinstatements are not to be used as a method for vehicle traffic to compact the reinstatement subbase or basal layers.

Permanent Reinstatements

Permanent reinstatements are undertaken as the final reinstalment of the road pavement / footpath or verge, with the intention to return the area to its original condition or better.

They will match the existing construction thicknesses of the area excavated and meet national standards for materials used and works specification. The permanent reinstatement will match the appearance of the surrounding area.

For chip sealed areas the surface permanent reinstatement is expected to be a minimum two coat chip seal to match the existing surface.

For asphalt areas the surface reinstatement is expected to have a single coat water proofing seal coat over the granular basal layers and an asphalt surface course. The joints for the asphalt surface course will be stepped 100mm off from the edge of the reinstatement into undisturbed material and will be saw cut and bitumen sealed along the vertical edges.

Road Safety and Ride Quality

All reinstatements (temporary or permanent) are expected to meet normal requirements for ride quality that would be applied to finished road construction. Any reinstatement that does not meet these criteria is deemed to have failed and will be repaired by the applicant within 28 days of notice by the RCA unless the reinstalment is considered to be unsafe. In this case it will be repaired by the RCA (see Emergency Repairs below).

Maintenance Period

All reinstatements will be subject to a twelve month maintenance period following notification to the RCA that the reinstalment has been completed. The person undertaking the reinstatement will be responsible for its condition during that period.

Emergency Repairs

If emergency repairs are needed to maintain road safety due to the deterioration of the reinstatement, then these will be undertaken by Council and all costs involved recharged to the applicant. In this event the reinstatement will become a permanent reinstalment and Council will take on responsibility from that time.

Temporary Road Closures

Members of the public have no rights to close or prevent access along a road without the written consent of the council. Details on how to apply for a temporary road closure and the conditions required can be found here.

Public Liability Insurance

The applicant must provide evidence of public liability insurance cover of a minimum value of two million dollars ($2,000,000). Please include evidence from your insurance company or a public liability insurance certificate and return with this application.

Construction of a Vehicle Crossing

Construction of a vehicle crossing for a private property is the responsibility of the property owner. Council's vehicle crossing policy and specifications provides information regarding property owners' responsibilities and vehicle crossing requirements. These documents can be downloaded from the right hand side of this webpage. 

If you plan to use a council approved contractor (list of approved contractors can be downloaded from the right hand side of the webpage or click here) complete the construction of vehicle crossing by a Council authorised contractor application form.

If you do not plan to use a Council approved contractor, complete the construction of vehicle crossing by a contractor not authorised to work without supervision form.

Please return completed form  to one of Council's offices along with payment of the vehicle crossing application fee.

Corridor Access Request

Need to plan an event, or dig within the road boundary (on roads, berms etc.)? Please lodge a corridor access request at least 15 working days prior to start of work where a road closure is not required and 75 days prior where a road closure is required, using one of the following methods (depending on whether you are excavating, working above ground within the road boundary or planning an event within the road boundary that will require a traffic management plan).

The corridor request fee is $130 per application which will be invoiced once the corridor access request is approved.

For work within the road boundary involving excavation:

Step 1: Go to https://www.beforeudig.co.nz/

Step 2: If you don't have a login for beforeudig you will need to set up one at this stage.

Step 3: Lodge an enquiry (called a corridor access request or CAR) including all information requested including  a site-specific traffic management plan (see the traffic management section of this web page for more information).

Step 4: Your CAR for your planned excavation will then go through Council's roading consultant who will process your enquiry and advise whether they require further information or whether it is approved. Council' roading consultant can be contacted at tcdctmp@pinnaclescivil.co.nz

Step 5: Once your CAR has been approved work can start on the approved start date.

For non-excavation work within the road boundary (includes events within the road boundary and above ground work with the road boundary on private structures for example shop verandas)

Step 1: Go to https://www.corridoraccess.co.nz/nz/non-excavation

Step 2: If you don't have a login for www.corridoraccess.co.nz you will need to set up one at this stage.

Step 3: Lodge an enquiry (called a corridor access request or CAR) including all information requested including a site specific traffic management plan (see the traffic management section of this web page for more information).

Step 4: Your CAR for your planned excavation will then go through Council's roading consultant who will process your enquiry and they will advise whether they require further information or whether it is approved.

Step 5: Once your CAR has been approved work can start on the approved start date.

Please feel free to contact Council or Pinnacles Civil at  tcdctmp@pinnaclescivil.co.nz for further information.


Holiday Traffic Delays

The Coromandel Peninsular is a favourite holiday destination for many New Zealanders, and as a result there may be traffic delays during holiday periods. Thames-Coromandel District Council plans works to take place outside those periods, and places a work embargo over holiday periods to ensure the minimum of disruption is caused. Only urgent or emergency works will normally be undertaken during these periods.

Road closures or traffic management for holiday events may take place over the holiday periods. These will be noted above, but please listen to local radio stations for traffic information on potential delays.


Works on State Highways

Works on state highways in the Thames-Coromandel District Council area are managed by Waka Kotahi (The New Zealand Transport Agency) and undertaken by Higgins under the East Waikato Network Outcomes Contract (NOC). For any request for works or events on the state highway network or for more information on the SH25/SH25A contact Waka Kotahi on coromandel@nzta.govt.nz or see www.nzta.govt.nz/thames-coromandel.

If you see a problem on state highways, call 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49) to alert the call centre team who will bring this to the attention of the contractor.

You can register for traffic alerts for your journey at: www.onthemove.govt.nz.

For updates on state highway conditions go to: www.journeys.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/

You can also check the Waka Kotahi Facebook page: