Kerbside Rubbish and Recycling Collection
View and download our 2023 Kerbside Schedules in the table below. Alternatively, open our Smart Maps system, select the Rubbish and Recycling viewer and enter your property address.
12 May - Kerbside rubbish and recycling update for Coromandel Rural North area:
Coromandel Rural North Kerbside Collections:
Council has confirmed the alternative arrangements for Kerbside collections.
Starting next week, rubbish and recycling collections in these areas will be serviced on different days, by Coastal Bins Limited.
- Rubbish (blue bags): Weekly collection on Mondays, starting Monday 15 May
- Recycling wheelie bins: Fortnightly collection on Fridays – from Friday 19 May and fortnightly thereafter
- Glass crates: Fortnightly collection on a Friday - from Friday 26 May and fortnightly thereafter
- These changes are for the entire Coromandel Rural North area, including Port Charles and Waitete Bay.
- For safety reasons our contractor’s staff will only collect recyclable glass presented in a Council-approved crate. If you need to purchase a crate or have a broken crate requiring replacement, please visit one of our Council offices.
- Coastal Bins collection trucks will go in the direction of Kennedy Bay to Port Charles, then Colville. We need all customers to place their rubbish and/or recycling kerbside by 7.30am on what will be the left side of the road for the trucks as they drive that route.
We know that having rubbish and recycling collections on different days is a change from what customers may be used to, but we appreciate your understanding.
| Mercury Bay Ward
Unsure if your property is Week 1 or Week 2? Open Smart Maps, select the Rubbish and Recycling map and enter your property address, or call us on 07 868 0200.
What goes in your rubbish and recycling?
What do I do with my Hazardous Waste?
Hazardous waste is one of the biggest issues in our district.
Lightbulbs, batteries and old phones, tablets and laptops are materials that often end up in the rubbish that could go elsewhere.
Batteries: Batteries can be dangerous if placed in with your general waste. Lithium batteries, especially, pose a fire risk. We ask that you take any old used batteries to your local Refuse Transfer Station (RTS).
Asbestos: Find an authorised contractor to remove your asbestos. There is nowhere in our district where asbestos can be disposed of. The nearest place is Envirowaste in Hampton Downs.
Lightbulbs: Drop these off at your local RTS.
E-waste: Electronic waste (e-waste) includes old TVs, phones, iPads, tablets, laptops and the like. Please do not dispose of these in with your general waste. Most of these items have lithium inside them, which is a fire risk if put through a compactor. Old screens contain toxic elements and computers have mercury components. Our Refuse Transfer Stations cannot take e-waste. Instead, take these items to the Seagull Centre in Thames or Goldmine in Coromandel Town. They will take them for a koha. Some Noel Leeming shops also will accept e-waste.
How should I put out my rubbish and recycling for Kerbside collection?
When it's Kerbside collection day in your area, put out your blue Council rubbish bag, and if it's your area's turn for recycling collection, your crate for glass bottles and jars and your wheelie bin for other recyclables - by the kerb at the side of the road.
Kerbside rubbish or recycling not picked up?
We collect different bin/bag types at different times during the day at any time between 7.30am and dusk.
Before contacting our Council, please check everything on the list below:
- It is the correct collection day/week for your address?
- Was your rubbish and/or recycling put Kerbside before 7.30am?
- Is the glass crate broken? Contact our Council to request a replacement.
- Is the glass crate overfill?
- Is the recycling wheelie bin closed flush? (Not overfilled)
- Is the recycling wheelie bin facing the road?
- Is the blue bag Kerbside?
- Are your neighbour's bags/bins still Kerbside?
Note: If your bin has been stickered, it has not been collected for the reason stated on the sticker.
To let us know if we've missed your collection, give us a call on 07 868 0200.
Missed your Kerbside collection day?
Leaving town before your collection day?
Please don't put out your rubbish or recycling before your collection day. Seagulls or roaming dogs sometimes get into the bags and scatter your rubbish down the street.
Please take your rubbish with you