Apply for Resource Consent

If you require a Resource Consent, it is advisable to ensure you have all the relevant information to avoid delay on your proposed activity

You can prepare your application yourself, however it is recommended that you approach a planning consultant who can assist you with your application and in some cases prepare your application on your behalf.

Pre-application Service

We provide a pre-application service for large scale or complex applications for which a fee is payable based on the actual cost of the staff attending the meeting . You should bring the following information to the pre application meeting:

  • Site identification (legal description, location map, Certificate of Title 
  • Proposed plan, even if they are only indicative
  • Description of your proposal
  • Draft Assessment of Environmental Effects
  • Any expert reports required to support your Assessment of Environmental Effects
  • Draft application for resource consent
  • Site photos

At the meeting a Council officer will look over the information you have brought and discuss what consents you will need and whether you might need any specialist reports. There may even be some discussions on who may be considered affected by your proposal. You can also ask questions about how the resource consent process may run once your application is lodged.

In some instances, it may be appropriate that other Council experts attend the meeting to provide their technical advice. For example, your proposal may have some inteesting storm-water or wastewater aspects that one of Council’s engineers should comment on.

While we’re there to help as much as we can, it is important to remember that Council staff cannot always give you definite answers about your proposal or the resource consent process. That is because some things can only be determined once Council staff have received and assessed a complete resource consent application from you. At a pre-application meeting the planner cannot determine if your resource consent:

  • will be approved;
  • needs to be notified; or
  • the nature and extent of any affected parties.

We will advise on those points after we’ve received and assessed your application. Council staff are also not a replacement for receiving your own independent expert advice and assistance in preparing a resource consent application.

Duty Planner

The Duty Planner can be contacted at and can provide basic guidance via email and can also schedule a pre-application meeting. 

For more detailed duty enquiries we also offer a meeting with a Duty Planner in Coromandel, Thames, Whangamta or Whitianga. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss such matters as:

  • Determining whether your activity requires a Resource Consent;
  • Assessment criteria that needs to be covered by you in the application, including the minimum information requirements that need to be lodged with your application;
  • Discussing people and properties that may possibly be affected by your proposal;
  • Calculating the deposit fee that is required at the time of lodgement;
  • Explaining the Resource Consent process and statutory timeframes.

You will need to bring the following with you:

  • The address of the property where the proposed activity is to occur;
  • A clear idea of the of the proposed activity;
  • Site photos and preliminary site plans, floor plans and elevations for the proposed activity.

Please note that site visits by staff are not carried out until an application has been formally lodged. 

Application Forms 

Application forms are available in any of our area offices or from the below link

Resource Consent Forms 

The application forms set out what information is required with your application, depending on the type of activity you are proposing will depend on what is required overall.  Most applications will require the following at a minimum:

An Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE) is a fundamental aspect of a resource consent application. An AEE considers the environmental effects created by your proposed activity and the adverse effects created by the non-compliances. The level of depth required in this assessment will vary on the type of activity proposed.  The requirements for an AEE are set out in the Resource Management Act 1991 (RMA) under Schedule 4 s6.

Lodging an Application

When you have compiled the relevant documents and completed all forms you can lodge your application with us either in person, via mail or email.  If your application is incomplete it will be returned to you with a letter advising you of what further information is required. If your application is complete and has been accepted, you will be sent an acknowledgement letter.

Contact Details

Postal Address

Thames-Coromandel District Council
Private Bag 1001
New Zealand

Visit us

We have offices in Coromandel, Thames, Whangamata and Whitianga. Office hours vary, so please refer to the relevant office for details.

Thames Service Centre
(includes AA Service Centre)

515 Mackay Street, Thames

Hours: 8am - 5pm: Monday to Friday (excludes public holidays)

Phone: 07 868 0200

Coromandel Service Centre

355 Kapanga Road, Coromandel

Hours: 9am - 4pm: Monday to Friday (excludes public holidays)

Phone: 07 866 1001

Mercury Bay Service Centre

10 Monk Street, Whitianga

Hours: 8.30am - 4pm: Monday to Friday (excludes public holidays)

Phone: 07 867 2010

Whangamata Service Centre

620 Port Road, Whangamata

Hours: 8.30am - 4pm: Monday to Friday (excludes public holidays)

Phone: 07 865 0060

Specialist Reports 

Some applications may require a report from a professional; this is dependent on the type of proposed activity and sometimes the zoning or overlay of the proposed site.  For example, if your property is located in coastal hazard overlay your application may need a report from a Coastal Scientist, or if your property is in a flooding zone you may need a report from a Hydrological Engineer.

If you require further specialist assistance with your application please follow the relevant link/s below, each webpage has a section with a directory:

Planning Consultants

New Zealand Institute of Surveyors 

Engineering New Zealand

New Zealand Law Society