Noise control - How to complain

We take noise complaints very seriously. If you think there is excessive noise occurring which is disturbing the peace, then please call us on 07-868-0200 (24 hours a day) and we will send a Noise Control Officer to investigate the complaint. It may take up to an hour for an officer to arrive on site.

The Noise Control Officer will visit the site and determine whether the noise is reasonable or excessive as determined by the Resource Management Act 1991. Officers are trained to determine whether the noise is excessive as determined by the Act If our Officer determines that the noise is excessive, they will serve a written Noise Direction Notice to reduce or eliminate the noise, which is enforced for up to 72 hours.

If the person to whom the notice is directed fails to obey the notice, and we have to return to the site, (within the 72hrs) we have the power (with police support) to seize equipment and may issue infringements for non compliance with a noise direction notice.

As the complainant, your identity is not revealed during this process. Your privacy will be protected.

However, if you are the noise maker and you feel the complaint is unjustified, please feel free to contact us to discuss your situation.