Guidelines for food stalls


If you want to or are operating a mobile shop, see the Mobile Shop page 

The sale of food is regulated by the Food Act 2014

("Food") includes drinks, fruits and vegetables, ice and anything that is intended to be consumed by people.

For all types of food stalls the food provided for sale must be "safe and suitable".

That means it must be safe to eat - no one should get sick from eating your food.

If you want to sell food:

  • to raise funds for a charity, cultural or community group (less that 20 times a year)
  • provided by members of sports clubs, social clubs or marae - where food is not the purpose of the event
  • once in a calendar year at an event such as a local fair

then you don't need to register under the Act

Food safety advice for food stalls

However, you will have to register under the Act if you're:

  • fundraising more than 20 times a year
  • catering events at clubs, or selling food at club bars or restaurants
  • bartering or exchanging food commercially
  • selling food commercially at fairs, markets, or community events more than once a year

For more information about selling food from stalls see 

For event organisers

Food sellers wanting to trade at an event must hold a valid registration certificate or be exempt from needing to register (as above).

Event organisers are responsible for checking their invited food sellers have a valid registration certificate or are exempt from needing to register, and should supply these details to the Environmental Health Team before the event.

Information for event organisers 

On this page: