Food business registrations

At Alert Level 2, cafes, restaurants, bars, night clubs and takeaway services can open, but with extra safety measures. People who work in customer-facing roles in hospitality venues must wear a face covering, however customers can take off their masks so they can eat or drink. All restaurants, cafes and bars can have a maximum of 100 people, all seated, within a defined indoor or outdoor space. All workers must be physically separated from each other and customers by 1 metre. Bars and night clubs can open with seated service only. For information about COVID-19, visit Unite against COVID-19 (

Photo of father and daughter in a cafe

In this section of our website, find out everything you've ever wanted to know about food businesses, food safety and hygiene.



Under the Food Act 2014, food businesses and providers need to meet different requirements depending on what they do and the level of food safety risk involved.

To see what rules apply to your business

Scope of Operations

What does ‘Scope of Operations’ mean? The term ‘Scope of Operations’ is used to describe the activities of your food business and also includes:

  • the sector(s) a food business operates under the Food Act 2014
  • what products a food business makes and/or sells
  • how products are sourced and/or supplied
  • how products are processed, if applicable, and 
  • how products are sold. 
Why do I need to complete a ‘Scope of Operations’?

If you are operating a food business you need to tell Thames-Coromandel District Council exactly what your business does. One way to do this is by filling out the ‘Scope of Operations’ cards. You need to complete the ‘Scope of Operations’ before you register. If you decide to do this by filling out the  ‘Scope of Operations’ cards, make sure you include your completed ‘Scope of Operations’ cards with your application form.

Businesses that are exempt from registration are defined in section 31 and Schedule 3 of the Food Act 2014. You can view these exemptions at

What do I need to do?

You can do this by completing the appropriate ‘Scope of Operations’ cards for your business and submitting them with your application for registration to Thames-Coromandel District Council.  Scope and application forms are available in the download section on the right panel of this page.

Send applications to: